Author of the History of Old Cumnock and minister of the Crichton Church, Cumnock. He wrote the History of Old Cumnock – his main claim to fame.
The book was published by Alexander Gardner, Paisley and London, 1899. Hardbound with red cloth boards with 368 pages. Frontisplate map and 16 illustrations. Each illustration is protected by a bound sheet of acid-free tissue. Book size is 8.75 x 6.75 x2 inches.
He also wrote The Moderators of the Church of Scotland from 1690 to 1740 which was published in 1913 and some of his sermons were published in pamphlet format.
John was born in Leith near Edinburgh on 27th October 1855 to William Warrick and Elizabeth Muirhead. He was educated at Edinburgh University and the New College, graduating as Master of Arts. He served the church at Forres in Morayshire, and Edinburgh, before being ordained at Cumnock Free Church in 22nd February 1883. When the Free Church and the Church of Scotland reunited in 1929, Warrick was chosen by Ayr Presbytery to be its first moderator. He was an authority on church law, especially that of the Free Church, and was often asked for advice on ecclesiastical procedure.
A fuller life history can be found HERE
Scotsman 2nd March 1899
Mr Alexander Gardener, Paisley, who has published so many books bearing on the Burns country, has now in the press a “History of Old Cumnock” – a parish closely identifies with the Covenanting period and possessing among other interesting associations, a connection with Burns which will be new to many of the poet’s admirers. The town was one of the original centres of the hand-painted snuff box industry. Commencing before the Reformation, the author will describe the civil, social, ecclesiastical and industrial life of the district till the present day. The Dumfries estate is in the parish, and the history of the Bute family’s connection with it will be told. The author of the volume, which will be illustrated, is the Rev John Warrick MA, who began his career in Mayfield free Church, Edinburgh and is a son in law of the Rev Dr Philip, of Free St John’s Edinburgh.
Make a gift to preserve Cumnock’s history
If you feel that you would like to donate a money gift to CHG to help us continue our research into the people and places of Cumnock