Built around 1924 Latta Crescent was named after Sir John Latta who was born at Darmulloch Farm in Old Cumnock and gained his wealth through his shipping company.
Built in 1956 and linked Elizabeth Crescent and Drumbrochan Road.
Built 1980s in Holmhead and named after Robert Lorimer (Bertie) who was first appointed Burgh Treasurer in 1930. He was also Burgh Prosecutor and became Treasurer of Cumnock Municipal Bank in 1947. He was factor of the town’s housing in his capacity as Town Chamberlain and served the community until his retiral around 1970.
Off Cairn Road, named after nearby farm
Lugar Street is the road over the Lugar Water, and the Stepends Bridge crossing the Lugar marked the old boundary with Auchinleck Parish.
Much of the street was demolished to make better access for traffic going up the Barrhill.
Lugar Street was the birthplace of John Baird – who left money to build the Baird Institute.
Built around 1936 and named after Allan McCall was a long serving member of the Council between 1912 and 1946, serving as Provost from 1925 to 1928. In his non-political life he was a fruit merchant and a founder shareholder of the Cumnock Municipal Bank. The shareholders and directors of the bank were unpaid, all the profits of the bank being passed to the Town Council.
Built in the 1970s in Barshare. It was named after the Rev John Douglas McClymont who was ordained as assistant and successor to John Spence Robertson in 1927 and served in Established Church in the Square until 1972.
Built in the 1950s, McDonald Street is situated in the Glebe, the old grounds belonging to the church. The Glebe was purchased by the Town Council in the early 1950s and all the streets were named after former local ministers. Named after the Rev J F McDonald who was the first Minister of St Andrew’s United Free Church in Glaisnock Street from 1929-1931.
A manse is the house where the minister lives. It lead to the former Manse on Robertson Avenue
Runs up the side of the Dumfries Arms from Glaisnock Street to Car Road, round the back of houses in Ayr Road.
Built in late 1970s and named after Father Martin Meagher (pronounced Marr) who was a quiet, dignified man, well thought of by Catholics and non-Catholics alike. He served as priest at St John’s Church – firstly on foot, then by horse and trap and latterly by car – from 1906 to 1936. He became a Canon, but declining health saw him transferred to a less demanding charge in Irvine. He died two years later.
Built around 1936, Michie Street was named after the Provost of Renfrew who was arbiter in the inquiry regarding compulsory purchase of land involving a dispute between the Town Council and the Marquis of Bute.
At the bottom of the Barrhill, there was a woollen mill nearby.
Off Barrhill Road
Situated in the “Glens”, it was named after Nan Hardie Hughes, daughter of James Keir Hardie MP and wife of Emrys Hughes MP. She was also Provost of Cumnock 1935-47. Nan also served on the Town Council from 1933-1947 and was instrumental in realising the plans for the open air swimming pool in the Woodroad Park.
Named after Netherthird Farm.
Named after Netherthird Farm.
New Bridge Street
Named after the bridge across the Glaisnock Water at the Dubb. This old street connects Ayr Road with the Tanyard. Cotton weaving was concentrated along this street and also at Townhead.
Patrick Finn Court
Peden Court, on Keir Hardie Hill, will close in March 2015. It was set up for homeless families.
Recen tprivate housing in Netherthird
The Cumnock Pottery, established here in 1792 and in business until 1920, was on the east side of the Glaisnock Street. The row of single story cottages roughly opposite the town hall were for the workers.
Richmond Terrace was named after James Richmond, a mason and builder and the only person to hold the Provostship more than once. He was Provost three times.
In Holmhead. Named after nearby Rigg farm
An old road that used to begin at Rigg Toll cottage on Auchinleck Road and go past the Rigg farm into Lugar down the Peesweep Brae.
Robbiesland Drive leaves Holmhead Road at right angles and goes east to meet with Oakbank Drive and then swings to the North, it was named after Robbie King, the son of David King a local builder. He continued his father’s work but died in middle age. The third generation of the family continued the work.
Built in the 1950s, Robertson Avenue is situated in the Glebe, the old grounds belonging to the church. The Glebe was purchased by the Town Council in the early 1950=’s and all the street were all named after former local ministers. The Rev John Spence Robertson was the Established Church Minister in the Square from 1875-1920s.
In Holmhead, there is a Rose burn in Cumnock